Tuesday, September 30, 2025

Reading Because I Want To

This past year, I started reading for fun again. I felt the need to read books instead of just watching the movies. Mostly because I think the movies leave a lot to be desired in the art of storytelling. I have to admit, it took me a while to get back into a habit of reading as an extracurricular activity. Most of the time, reading is something that I only do for my job or to read the ingredient label on a new food, when I have to watch out for some allergen. So is the way of society as we live. We do not get to read for fun. Picking out books of interest with stories that we can get behind; or reading documentaries about people in history that we want to learn about. In our fast-paced, don’t-get-left-behind race to our inevitable finish line, we read what we must to get through and move on. Which I feel is why most people have no urge to read. They don’t think about reading something to enjoy, it is all about reading because we have to. There are also those people that think listening to books via audio is the same as reading, but I won’t get into that since it is probably another ramble where I talk about if it actually compares. No for me, I have to actually read it, slowly as I may do, since I am clearly out of practice. It is not so much speed reading as reading at an even pace without missing story plot. I have gotten quicker throughout the year though. My goal was 10 books by the end of it. I am at 7, and quicker at reading, so hopefully, the next few months will be smooth sailing (with slightly shorter books to meet my goal). However, if I am reading to get to a goal of a certain number of books, does that mean I am then reading because I have to? It is probably a question for someone else to answer. Moreover, I don’t want to discuss that question in this post because then I will be making you read because you have to get to the end of my rambling. It is more words than sense. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...