Tuesday, May 7, 2024

May Day and Other Such Fun

With the recent passing of May 1st or May Day as many know it, it has come to my attention that we really do celebrate a day for just about everything. What I mean is those random days throughout a month that celebrate innocuous things like donuts, the mathematical Pi, squirrels. May Day itself is known as a day of play where people enjoy fun games outside in the sun. In fact, the first week of May is a great example of what I am talking about. May Day on the 1st, then Star Wars Day on the 4th (and may it always be with you), and then Cinco de Mayo on the 5th. I have no problem celebrating a few non-major holidays throughout a month. An Earth Day, a Parent’s Day, a national day of reading. They all sound fine enough now and again, but for every day to be a Taco Tuesday gets a bit redundant. We as a society have literally made a day for every member of our families, every food item known, every animal on the Ark, a day to talk like pirates, and even World Lazy Day. I know Sportacus wouldn’t like that one. I don’t know, maybe it is just my mildly pessimistic nature, but I feel like if every day is a celebration, an un-birthday if you will, then we aren’t really celebrating anything are we? But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...