Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Material Girls (and Boys)

Breakfast at Tiffany’s and bottles of bubbles, girls with tattoos who like getting in trouble, lashes and diamonds, ATM machines, these are some of my favorite things. Not mine personally, but it has become such a habit to want things, physical things. Every day we practice materialism in such a way that the world is racked with a surplus of objects that most of us don’t really need. Materialism, by the way, is the want of physical possessions above all else. So why is this such a bad concept? Is wanting a few nice things really that horrible? Not if the items are worked for and earned with a solid paycheck or two, but look at the national debt average. No one can actually afford the things they are buying. Materialism is also not so bad if we only cling to the items for a little enjoyment. However, there are people who gather entire collections of objects even at the detriment of the enjoyment of the item. Think stamp collectors who spend millions tracking down a single stamp only to throw it in a book and hope that one day it will actually be worth something. I have made a habit of being a minimalist. I have very few physical objects to my name, but I enjoy all of those things. When I add a new item to my ensemble it is because I know that I will use said thing in a way that helps me or brings me great pleasure. However, I also know that if I were to lose said item, it would not be the end of the world. Do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that owning things is bad. I am merely stating that when having nice things becomes the center for everything else, maybe it is time to take up a hobby. You know something simple, like shoe collecting. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...