Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Pleasing Our Parents

Growing up is a spectrum of emotions, challenges, accomplishments, and changes that is completely different for everyone. The one thing most of us have in common is different periods in our lives where pleasing our parents is the general focus. Now of course I mean no offense to anyone who lack parents, but even most of that group have a parental figure that still fits the bill when it comes to what I am talking about. When we are toddlers and small children, it is a joy to interact with our parents. We show them every stripe of Crayon, want their undivided attention, and inevitably ask them why at least a million times. Then we enter our teenage years and young adolescence and it seems like no matter how much our parents try to connect, they “just don’t get us” and we almost shut them out with a sign on our bedroom doors. However, the circle meets at the other end by the time we become a full-fledged adult. Then it becomes a race to see how successful we can become so we can visit for Thanksgiving and brag about our accomplishments to our parents. One kid becomes a doctor, while the other becomes a sports pro. The awkward middle child becomes a millionaire because everyone laughed when she bought some crypto using her college fund. Throughout it all, our parents stand by and watch as their kids go through this and do not seem to bat an eye when it all works out. I am not a parent, but I don’t think I could ever have that kind of patience, but then again, most people would say that forever is a long time. Besides that, it would make my parents overjoyed if I was to become a parent. It is part of the reason I am rambling about this now, because pleasing my parents is also on my bucket list. If only I could make them understand how hard it is to please my significant other. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...