Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Whispers, Taps, and Other Tingly Things

Let me start off by saying that addiction to anything can be bad. However, I think I have found an addiction that might be okay to have. I am addicted to ASMR. For anyone who doesn’t know ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Basically, it is the tingly feeling you get from the top of your head and down your spine, sometimes all the way to the end of your fingertips and toes, that is caused from sounds like whispering, tapping, and certain mouth sounds, light touches to certain parts of your body, and sometimes even bright lights in your eyes. You normally hear about people talking about the feeling when they are getting a haircut or when someone whispers in their ear and for most people, it is a relaxing and stress relieving experience. It is also totally addicting. I love to load up a Youtube video of someone doing ASMR purposefully and unwinding. Many people also use these videos to help them fall asleep. So, I gave that a try as well, and I have not fallen asleep without ASMR playing in nearly 2 years. It bothers me a little that I enjoy something that odd so much. On the other hand, as far as addictions go, there are certainly more impairing and more costly addictions to be had. ASMR has never made me look like a fool at my cousin’s wedding, nor does it make me smell weird, and, as far as I know, I am still allowed in Vegas. But one would think I could find a better way to unwind than listening to someone massage a pair of plastic ears attached to a microphone. I guess with any luck I will eventually grow bored of the tingly feeling I get and will instead find pleasure in being mildly agitated and tightly wound again. Until then I will continue to give myself tingles by typing up these silly blogs and hope that you folks become addicted to reading them. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...