Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Faith is Confusing

I have always had a hard time trusting anything or anyone at face value. When I see people blinding following a path that is built on trust alone, I find myself questioning the sanity of those people. They are said to have faith in what they believe and do not question it. Faith is defined as complete trust in someone or something. In other words, to believe in something no matter what. Now most of the time, this is applied to religion, which I have very little of. But I have studied many different religions, and one of the most detracting flaws I always see is having faith. For instance, in religions such as Christianity and Baptism, they read from a book. A book, mind you, that was written by man, or a couple of them. The words in the book are said to be the words of a God that were originally heard by someone and then written down and passed down through generations. I think this fine, accept when the people believe every word of this book and follow them without a single question. However, a lot of questions come to my mind. For instance, those words have been translated a few times. Anyone who has taken a foreign language knows that translations are not always exactly word for word. It makes me wonder how many mistranslations have made it through. Another question is how do we know that the words are from a heavenly body. Only because an elder told us so. It just doesn’t add up. I also find that with faith comes a lot of hypocrisy. Like when these very religious people claim magic is fake or even sinful and yet they believe in miracles. Now in my world, miracles are magic, regardless of who is doing it. You mean I am expected to believe that dragons and wizards are make believe, but then also believe that you can heal cancer, make the crippled walk, and even stop bleeding by reading words from the very same book that they have complete faith in. If I saw someone do any of those things simply by reading words from a book, I would claim they had performed magic, but the religious portion of the population simply says that I should just have faith in the Lord’s way. That is why faith is confusing to me. Because I cannot have complete trust like that. It takes quite a bit to earn my trust. Moreover, I refuse to believe that one such “magic” is real while the other is completely fake. I cannot simply take something for granted and completely dismiss all else because a book full of a God’s words told me to. But I guess I can have faith that maybe one day someone will change my mind. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...