Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Easy to Laugh in the Dark

I have recently found a new comedian that I find absolutely hilarious. His name is Nate Bergatze and his jokes just ring home with me, as he is also from the south. He also does not fill his comedy with curse words, which is refreshing. While I don’t mind profanity in a stand-up routine, it is nice to know there are still a few funny people out there that don’t have to rely on them to be humorous. However, he is deemed a “clean comedian,” which I do not understand. The reason. He tells a lot of jokes about death, dying, and other sorts of jokes. What is affectionately called in the comedian world “gallows humor.” I love gallows humor, but I don’t necessarily see it as clean humor. Sure, you can tell a joke about a dead horse without coming even near Samuel L. Jackson’s style of speaking or without mentioning how much “rigor mortis” has set in, but it is still a joke about a dead horse. If you further the joke by talking about how you would dispose of said horse and accidently snapping off a limb, throwing up while doing so, or mutilating a body in any sense, it kind of goes off the rails of the “clean humor” train, doesn’t it? Maybe I am just overthinking it a little. Maybe it is possible to be a clean comedian while also slightly grossing out the audience and making them tear up. Of course, my favorite clean joke is how Tommy likes to take a bath with Bubbles and we all know how clean that joke is. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...