Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Having Scents While Being an Adult

At one time or another, someone else dictated what went on our bodies. Usually that would involve picking out our clothes for us, but they also dictated what we smelled like. As we got older, we generally found a style that worked for us and, for many, that style is still what is worn to this day, no matter how old. However, I think the decision of smells came with those choices as well. What I mean is, we also start to pick a scent that we want to smell like as an adult. Growing up most kids don’t think about scent too much, and, depending on what species of human you are, what you smelled like may not have mattered at all. For boys, it was a stink off until they reached the age where they realized their love interests preferred they smell good. For girls, it may have been the case that the newest perfumes by their favorite celebrity was what was important. However, by the time we reach adulthood, I think most adults find a preferred aroma that pleases them and sticks with it. Maybe it’s a coconut shampoo with a mint body wash and a nice smoky vanilla cologne or maybe it’s a strawberry hair spray with a misting of peaches and cream perfume. No matter what scent is chosen, I believe it is commonplace for an adult to pick the scents they want and not stray too far from that area. I say this because I find myself in this exact situation. I prefer certain scents over others and because of this I have been told that I have a signature scent. Personally, I think it is the sandalwood beard balm. I am also not saying this is the case for every person. For some, it may be a case of wearing what is cheapest. For others, they spritz on some of the newest bottle they received at Christmastime. Maybe one person likes a dozen different smells, so they have multiple scents. Just because you follow Tim Gunn’s rules of fashion doesn’t mean you have to make strict decisions on all your daily wears. Although, if you ask me, I think it is kind of nice to know that there could be a Jay Naus candle, and everyone would know exactly what it should smell like. But that is just one man’s opinion. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I appreciate it. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Appropriate Phone Call

  I think in any society there has to be rules of engagement when dealing with social interaction. One of the biggest social interactions of...